Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day!

This post was written by Lorne

Hey everyone! I wanted to give Maryanne a blog post as a present for Mother's Day this year.

Maryanne is an indescribably wonderful mom. Despite this, I'm going to put forth an attempt at description. Here goes:
  1. She is perfectly obsessed with the health of our family. I was just telling her the other day that I never would have dreamed that my children would eat so well. Hannah eats a very well balanced diet, and if given a cookie will often stop half-way through and say, "That's enough sugar for now". Ummm... have you ever heard of a 2 year old not finishing a cookie?
  2. She is self-sacrificing. Maryanne will give up sleep, food, water, comfort, and any other personal desire to make sure that everyone else is getting their needs met.
  3. She is patient. Even when I'm at the end of my rope dealing with crazy, whining babies, Maryanne is able to speak in an even tone and encourage Hannah to "use her words".
  4. She is perfectly strict. You can't let kids get away with everything... and while I will sometimes not let them get away with anything, Maryanne strikes a perfect balance on discipline. She's very good at recognizing which are the battles worth fighting and when somebody just needs a minute to pout instead of a time-out.
  5. She helps me. I've got a lot of work to do and usually very little time to do it. In those situations Maryanne always helps me make time for my job, while still bringing the kids by for kisses and hugs so that Daddy doesn't go crazy. At the same time, I've sometimes got a lot to do and unlimited time to do it (*cough* PhD *cough*). In those times, Maryanne helps me stay focused and moving forward.
  6. She's one hot momma! After *almost* four years of marriage and two kids I'm still very much in love with Maryanne. I love spending time with her and talking about anything.
  7. She loves Jesus. Maryanne and I both want our family to love and serve Jesus more than anything else. We help each other in this path and I'm so glad for it. There's nothing more important in life.

I hope you enjoyed the post. Feel free to give Maryanne some mom-props in the comments.

-lorne

7 comments:

Graham and Storey said...

Maryanne! I look to you as an example of sweet patience! I love talking about our girls and hearing in your voice how much you love and care for them. You put so much thought into how you mother Hannah and Mary Kate and they are blessed for it! You have taught me so much without even realizing! I love you so much! Thank you for Cambell's PRECIOUS dress and cards! You are my thoughtful BAF!

the blogivers said...

Very sweet post :) Looking forward to seeing Maryanne in action with the girls when you guys move back SOON!

The Joiners said...

Happy Mother's Day, Maryanne- and props to Lorne for the tribute :)

Unknown said...

Sweetest post EVER!! I don't know you (really), Maryanne, but you sound MARVELOUS!! You guys are such a sweet family with absolutely gorgeous girls!

Unknown said...

Lorne,

Kuddos to you for being such a wonderful husband to give Maryanne such a wonderful gift.

As moms we truly need affirmation.
Its a BIG JOB.

Maryanne truly has a gift with her Girls. She seems to instinctively know what is needed and when.

She respects their little spirts and personalities, but draws the line when needed.

Hannah is such a sweet and well behaved little girl. I so enjoyed my time with her. She will be a great role model for Miss Mary Kate.

It is such a Joy to see this Family grow.

You are all truly blessed to have each other and I love all of you so much.

I CANT WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE ALL IN TEXAS!!!!!!!

HUGS GRAMMY

Stephanie Cole said...

what a sweet husband! grammy is right, moms need affirmation. good gift lorne! and i agree, that maryanne, you really are a GREAT mom! attentive, careful, patient, wise, gentle. i love you!

Hebraicheart said...

I've always thought it takes a lifetime to become a great mother. I'm still working on it.

It seems as soon as you get one stage figured out they move to the next one and you have to start over. Kind of like the laundry...it is never quite finished.

Maryanne is an admirable mom. She is so motivated to be the best she can be. I don't think I've ever known anyone who is more open to input and concerned with learning from others.

She has already reached to higher planes of motherhood than most.

Can't wait to have you closer dear ones.

Mimi