Friday, October 24, 2008

The Deodorant Dilema


You may have heard or read about the deodorant debate: Are deodorants causing breast cancer?

There are conflicting views on the subject.

The main argument is this:

Aluminum-based compounds are used as the active ingredient in antiperspirants. Some research suggests that aluminum-based compounds may be absorbed by the skin and cause estrogen-like effects. Estrogen has the ability to promote growth of breast cancer cells.

Other research has focused on parabens, which are preservatives used in some deodorants and antiperspirants that have been shown to mimic the activity of estrogen in the body's cells.

Here is an interesting article on the issue.

I know two women that have been diagnosed with breast cancer, and both of their doctors have told them to stop using deodorants with antiperspirants and parabens.

Personally, I'm ditching conventional deodorants. Why take the risk? And why wait until AFTER you have cancer to switch?

So now we come to the real topic of this post....the deodorant dilemma.

The most common solution for people who are concerned about this link to breast cancer is to go to the local health food store and pick up a natural, paraben-free deodorant that doesn't contain antiperspirants.

Although some people are pleased with their results, the majority of people I've talked to or read about agree that these deodorants do NOT work! So, they are faced with this dilemma...."Do I take the cancer risk, or the major stink risk?"

Well, I did a little research on some natural deodorants that WORK, and I found one that works great for me - coconut oil!

Yes, I know this sounds crazy, but let me tell you why it works...

In short, the odor in your armpits is caused by bacteria. Coconut oil is known to have antibacterial qualities. So, no bacteria = no stink!

Here's what I do:
I wash my armpits as usual in the shower. Then, I pat them dry and rub them down with coconut oil.

To test this method, I went out for a brisk walk on a hot afternoon. I did sweat a little, but I was stink-free! I even had my husband smell my armpits when I came inside, and he said they didn't stink at all!

Keep in mind that we all have different body chemistry, and what works for one person does not keep the stink away for another. So, this suggestion may not be your ticket to being stink-free.

If coconut oil doesn't work for you, but you are interested in a natural deodorant, I encourage you to do some research of your own. There are a lot of different suggestions out there!

Some people swear by splashing their armpits with vodka.

Others use a product called "Funk Butter" that seems to have a high success rate.

So check out the options, I'm sure there's something out there that will work great for you!

And if anyone tries the coconut oil or anything new, I'd love to hear about it!

(image from www.skrewtips.com)

No comments: